The mission of your role
Karma is looking for the next key member of our team. As an Engineering Manager, you will play an important role in securing the success of Karma by engaging in scaling our team and ensuring the quality and performance of our service.
As Engineering Manager you will set and lead the implementation of the technical vision, making sure we have the resources and knowledge needed to succeed at high quality and in a timely manner. The goal is to build a highly efficient and scalable team, processes and technology.
You will be managing a team of engineers and developers, collaborating with the product manager, as well as guiding the company’s technical vision and maintaining compliance with quality standards.
As a leader, you strongly believe in fostering a culture of involvement, trust and transparency. You are straightforward and decisive while making your team members feel included in decisions and understand how Karma's culture is incorporated in the determination. You are able to give examples of how you have proven such skills where your previous team members have listened to and wanted to follow you.
We are a fairly small team looking to transform an entire industry, so your work at Karma will both be important and have a tremendous impact on Karma's success. We are working close to our customer, acting on both their feedback and what our data says.
- At least two years experience leading and developing an engineering team
- Solid developer background and a deep understanding of technical details
- Are up-to-date on tech trends and tools
- Are passionate about what you believe in, but disagree and commit if needed
- Have strong business acumen
- Can explain tech debt to a 5-year old
- Vocalize when tech debt results from choices, and plan on how to reduce it
- Trust your team to make the best tech choices, but challenge and coach them if they don’t
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills along with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Push for scalability and quality or viability and speed, based on the situation
Tech at Karma
We’re a small team that wears many hats, and we learn on-the-job by solving challenges in order of urgency and value.
We’re flexible in what systems and parts of the product we work on, collaborate across teams, and we’re involved in features from inception to implementation, including polish and maintenance.
We value good code and novel solutions, but know that they’re means to an end: done is better than perfect.
Some of our tech of choices at the moment are TypeScript (Node, React, React Native), GraphQL, PostgreSQL, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform.
The bottom line
If you’ve worked at a startup, you know. If you haven’t, here’s the rundown: there’s no room for egos, politics, or bull-sh*t. What we build today could be thrown out of the window tomorrow, but we build it with 100% commitment nonetheless.
You’ll laugh more than you’ll cry, and look back at the work you do now in 10 years and think “how did we get that done?” And you’ll love every minute of it.